Thursday 8 March 2012

International Women's Day


Exhibition in the Group Space of the Ulster Hall during the rest of this month

I had the great honour of being asked to create a collection of photographs for the Ulster Hall's celebrations of International Women's Day, under the theme of 'Women of Belfast'. I went back and forth for a long time, considering different approaches but settling on none of them... Then I thought about how, while it is important and wonderful to acknowledge the achievements and greatness of women in our city and far beyond, there are these girls growing up - the future women of Belfast - being shaped by all sorts of experiences, circumstances, and people in their lives, including the women of Belfast who we celebrate today. These girls have phenomenal amounts of potential in them, and there is so much hope in who they could be and what they might do.

I have often looked at my young nieces (and nephews too), and wondered what they will be like as their characters develop and as they take (or not) different opportunities that come their way... What will they be passionate about? What talents and interests will they have? What will be the unique aspects of their character that make them stand out from everyone else? I find it incredibly exciting, and while spending time with the girls I photographed I got to hear what their mums hope for their future, and what they hope Belfast will be like for them:

"I hope Belfast is a place that inspires her, provides her with opportunities to fulfil her dreams, and is a place where she will feel proud to call 'home'."

"I hope Belfast will be a place where the value of life, regardless of gender, race, religion, education, ability, financial status, is recognised as precious. That this fresh generation would identify and celebrate the rich treasure within themselves and their peers and out of that would come an outpouring of compassion, love and service that floods Belfast ad overflows beyond the boundaries of this island."

"I hope Belfast will give my girls a freedom that I never had growing up here. I hope Belfast celebrates their hobbies and abilities and that the girls will feel gloriously accepted. Of course I hope Belfast offers them the opportunities of their dreams!"

I stand with these mothers in their hopes for their daughters and for Belfast, but I recognise too the responsibility on me and others to shape Belfast in a positive way, to pioneer, to stand against what is destructive and unjust, and to be a joyful, hopeful, good influence in their lives. Can I get an 'Amen'?

I applaud the women who are doing their thing, whatever that is, and doing it well, and I look with great hope on the girls, the women they will be, and definitely the amazing characters they already are.

A huge thank you goes to the girls and parents who took part in creating these photos, it was such a joy spending some time with you and hearing your stories. Happy International Women's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Love it Amy - looking forward to getting down to see it.

    ReplyDelete